Sunday, October 3, 2010

A great feat of engineering

In civilization's millennia-long history, mankind has often turned his superior brain to the great task of engineering.

Unlike our animal cousins, we have developed the ability to mould creation into any shape we desire, transforming nature's raw fabric into a new form that will help our species move ever onward and upward.

I'm talking, of course, about the pumpkin cannon.


I've mentioned it before, but I don't think I'd ever posted a shot of it.

Basically, the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of New Brunswick made it, with the help of one of the local metal fab companies in town. It uses a burst of compressed air to lob a small pumpkin almost clear across the river, aiming at a small floating target.


I mean, jesus, somebody put time, effort, money and tender loving care into creating this thing! It's just plain awesome, and I wish I had one.

They only trot it out once a year, during September's Pumpkin Fest. Kids of all ages can buy a pumpkin for five bucks and tell the gunner the PSI and angle they want to use. Can't remember what they get if they actually hit the target. Me, I'd accept a free shot as a reward.

Some of the kids had realistic expectations from the freakin' giant air cannon.


Others were more eager. The lad below had to be restrained by both the gunner and his mum from turning the epic little valve before he was supposed to.


It fills my heart with sadness to know that, after the day was over, they just wheeled it back into the shed for another year.

No comments: