Saturday, July 11, 2009

Rock 'n' Roll part deux: How they roll

To give you a general idea of what kind of unexpected, unexplained things crop up in Miramichi sometimes, have a gander at this:

2003 Chevy SSR. Convertible. In cop car colours.

See, someone stole that in BC, then drove it aaaaall the way to New Brunswick, where he was caught. In the interim, the owner wrote the car off as stolen, or something, so when the cops found it, it was the property of the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia. Cops bought it off of them to replace a retiring cruiser.

Now it's their poster vehicle. Most onlookers were envious. But there were a few shaking their heads in disgust.

And now for something completely different:

1980 Firebird. When I was a kid, I had one of those die cast models of it, like matchbox-sized. Prolly wouldn't have given it a second glance if not for the phoenix painted on the hood. Cool. Kitschy, but cool.

The overall theme of the Rock 'n' Roll Fest was not the 80s, but the '50s, so of course, there were certain expections to live up to:

I want one. The thing was 100 per cent restored, even the interior.

But as awesome as it was, I couldn't shake the feeling something was missing, until this guy turned up:


Then, of course, the universe was complete. 'Couse, not sure how well fat, 1970s Elvis fits in with the 1950s pink cadillac, but whatever.

No Marilyn, though. Pity.

2 comments:

AM said...

You're the best writer I know. I'm so proud.

Anonymous said...

Man, we never have stuff like that in the city. You Maritimers are so lucky!!

P.S. I moved. www.julietyios.wordpress.com